Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mustangs and the 2nd Amendment

Well, the Economy and the Livestock Lobbyist are winning out over wilderness again...63% of the wild horse herd in the Conger and Confusion of southwestern Utah are slated to be rounded up...removed from the range.  Their fate?  Well a majority will be put up for adoption...you can get one for yourself for next to nothing...but in this economy, the fact is most of them will end up on permanent pastures in the Midwest.  Not exactly the John Wayne movie setting you visualize when you think of the mustang.  But don't worry, we are paying through the nose to keep them on that pasture, so the local Utah rancher can graze his cows and sheep on Utah's scenic BLM land instead. 

"According to the BLM website, it cost taxpayers $29 million in the 2009 budget year to care for the horses in captivity. As of August, according to the agency, there were 25,700 permanently pastured wild horses and 8,800 in short-term corrals, likely bound for adoption."

That's quite a bit of taxpayer money to subsidize the Utah rancher...

Maybe it isn't really about 2nd Amendment, but the Davis County Commission repealed their ban on shooting in the foothills today.  Seems there is already a Utah State Law on the books that it is illegal to shoot in the direction of houses while shooting in the foothills...What happened to common sense and basic firearms training?  Know your target and beyond!  I have hunted on this mountainside above my parents home for almost 40 years...when I was young, if I had even pointed my gun back towards town, I'd have had my butt warmed but good.  Of course, it's just my opinion, but if you own a gun and you carry it, you should be responsible for your actions with said gun.

Birds:  I-race in Beaver, results for 100 mile training toss...took 7th and 9th place out of 109 birds with nest mates from my Vic Miller cock (thanks Fahy) and my Fabry hen (Thanks Ted).  Next toss is 150 miles, and pays the top 5 places.

Honey: Meniere's Disease is ravishing my honey today...we will make the best of it, but it is so frustrating for her and nothing I can do.  At least, I can be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment