Sunday, October 24, 2010

Arch Canyon

Another one of my best less known areas has fallen to invasion by motorized traffic.  The first news that we here about it comes 7 days after the decision by BLM...



Soon, there will be no where to escape the noise and tire tracks!








The ruins in Arch Canyon when I first viewed them over 20 years ago were almost as pristine as any I had ever seen.  At that time, there was no motorized traffic in the canyon.  A recent trip to the Butler Wash area put me near enough to check in on some old haunts...no longer the same, the tranquility of the canyon was ripped wide open by the drone of OHV motors running up and down it...maybe its not so during the week, but on that Sunday morning, I was pestered by the sounds of four different groups in the three hours I was in the canyon.

I think a permit system needs to be put in place like they have done on many of the rivers, and many of the more popular hikes in National Parks. 

What a shame to loose another memory to the greed of Corporate America!

No comments:

Post a Comment