Thursday, October 7, 2010

Is happiness in the aspen grove?


I read not long ago, that the largest living organism on the planet is an Aspen Grove. Shortly after that, I began to read disparaging articles about massive aspens die-outs.  I read good news today, that recent research shows sudden aspen decline is on the wane.  Why am I talking about aspens?  Well, as I prepare for this hunting adventure with my father it becomes a key factor in elk habitat. A study back in 2000 stated that the aspen decline in the Yellowstone region may be due to the lack of wolves, allowing for an increase in the elk population.

Whatever the cause of the decline, the effect for me is one of sadness.  I have very fond childhood memories of aspen groves in the mountains of the west.  Memories of camping in groves on the La Sal Mountains; Logan Canyon; the Wasatch Front, near Fish Lake and high in the Uinta Mountains of northeastern Utah.  Those memories for me equate to a form of happiness; that is on my mind this morning after reading a link from a friend.

Just what is happiness?  Sounds like a philosophical question to me, but I read a blog this morning that makes me wonder, are we in control of our own happiness?  Is the world around us the cause of our happiness?

Birds: The frustration of a less than scholar race season can make you want to tear down the lofts and start an herb garden...ugh!

Honey: The vines have a wonderful smell of concord grapes as the first chill brings more sugar to the fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment