Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sharing a few moments from the ongoing hunt

I just wanted to update everyone on the progress of the hunt...the elk are winning.
All we saw is a couple of moose.




The first day we were up on the north slope of the Unitas, it snowed a few inches.  And sleeping in my father's tent trailer, I found that the heater created more condensation that it did real heat.


We spent four days hunting hard, I think I walked about 40 miles according to the GPS.






Although we didn't "harvest" any elk or deer, we still have until this Thursday to "bag" one. I enjoyed getting out, seeing some great scenery and some historical old dwellings.



I found more evidence to support my stance on stronger regulation of off-highway vehicles. 








Notice that they drive their OHV around the sign instead of turning around before it.  The next day while standing on the edge of the same meadow about 50 feet beyond the sign, I had a guy pull up to me on his OHV and ask if I had seen anything. When I questioned him about riding beyond the sign, he threw down a lit cigarette butt and spun his tires getting out of there.
On another OHV trail, they found a puddle, and made the most out of tearing up the road and making it almost impassible when it dries up and becomes hard again. Have people forgotten that they can walk?  There was no reason for tearing up that road like that, other than a desire to run their engines and avoid a little physical exercise in name of seeing more faster.  That is not the style or ethic of hunting I was raised on.  Oh, and if the road gets repaired, it will be done with our tax dollars...dollars for the Forest Service that could have been used elsewhere in protecting or understand the basic needs of nature.
Where is the thrill of the stalk and the hunt, when you ride up, shoot your prey with a high power rifle from a distance the animal still feels safe. Then ride right up, throw it on the back end of your all-terrain toy and ride back to camp to show off your hunting skill and prowess.  It sickens and saddens me.

Just a quick bit on eBooks and ePublishing...someone shared a blog with me while I was hunting that needs input in the discussion to allow for a greater readers say.

Birds: I will be donating three CBS DeKlak breeders to the Northern Utah Show and Auction this year.  Details to follow on time and date of the show.

Honey: We hosted friends last night, and I spent a good deal of the evening explaining the whole wine making process to one of our guests that works at a large chain restaurant...now her head will be filled with unusable knowledge when she pours that commercial glass of wine to her customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment